'Birds lose to Calgary 41-35, narrowly earn playoff spot

With playoff hopes on the line, the UBC football team suffered a 41-35 comeback loss to the University of Calgary Dinos, but still narrowly managed to earn a playoff spot.

The ’Birds were fifth in Canada West going into the game and had the same 3-4 season record as the fourth-place team, the University of Manitoba Bisons. UBC clinched the playoff position after Manitoba’s loss to the Regina Rams.

Still, for UBC head coach Blake Nill — who finished the season with a record below .500 for just the second time in his career — the game ultimately brought more disappointment than joy.

“Today, ultimately I have to take responsibility for the kids. We didn’t execute,” said Nill. “It’s a very frustrating moment right now for me.”

Calgary was first to get on the scoreboard nine minutes into the game with a touchdown by running back Bryce Harper on a three-yard run. UBC equalized the game with a touchdown by receiver Will Watson two minutes later on a scoring drive that included a 48-yard rush by running back Ben Cummings.

As the first quarter winded down to its final seconds, the ’Birds produced yet another powerful scoring drive that included a successful 45-yard pass from quarterback Michael O'Connor to receiver Marshall Cook. Receiver Trivel Pinto then got the touchdown to double UBC’s lead to 14-7.

The Dinos responded with a field goal on the next possession before Pinto picked up another touchdown for the ’Birds in the final three minutes of the second frame to increase UBC’s lead to 21-10.

In the final minute of the second, the Dinos picked up a single point after a touchback field goal by Niko DiFonte. UBC Kicker Greg Hutchins then kicked a 37-yard field goal with one second left on the clock to give UBC a 24-11 lead by halftime.

Midway into the third period, Harper got his second touchdown for Calgary to narrow the ’Birds lead to 24-18, this time on a seven-yard run.

With a little under four minutes remaining in the frame, the ’Birds managed to block a punt by the Dinos at Calgary’s 15-yard line. On the ensuing possession, Hutchins got an 18-yard field goal for his second kick of the night, increasing UBC’s lead to 27-18.

“I made mistakes in the game management that I thought might have created momentum. It’s my job to manage the game,” said Nill.

To start of the final quarter, the Dinos brought the ’Birds lead back to six points on DiFonte’s third field goal of the night. Calgary then retook the lead two minutes later when receiver Austen Hartley caught a 26-yard pass from Dinos quarterback Adam Sinagra.

With six minutes remaining, the ’Birds came back on top as Cummings got a 74-yard touchdown followed by a two-point conversion pass by receiver Trevor Casey. He finished the game with an impressive 179 rushing yards.

Still, Calgary equalized the game in the final three minutes before winning 41-35 in overtime with yet another touchdown by Harper.

“We talked at halftime about the need to go out, keep them from scoring in the first drive and then to respond ourselves and in the second half we were outplayed," said Nill.

UBC finished the regular season with a 3-5 record and will play away against the University of Regina Rams in the Canada West Semifinal on Saturday November 5.