In photos: UBC Rec's Day of the Longboat

One of UBC Rec's signature events of the academic year, Day of the Longboat, sees hundreds of UBC community members take to the waters of English Bay to fight for the right to hit the gong at the end of the course. Held on September 30 and October 1 this year, Jericho Beach was bustling with students, staff and faculty stroking to success.

Longboat teams get a stretch in outside Jericho Sailing Centre before their race.
Longboat teams get a stretch in outside Jericho Sailing Centre before their race. Zubair Hirji / The Ubyssey
Once out on the water and around the markers, one brave soul is tasked with retrieving a baton from the shore.
Once out on the water and around the markers, one brave soul is tasked with retrieving a baton from the shore. Zubair Hirji / The Ubyssey
As team's hit the shore over near the finish line, once again a team member makes a run through the icey waters.
As team's hit the shore over near the finish line, once again a team member makes a run through the icey waters. Zubair Hirji / The Ubyssey
With a hit of the gong, each team completes the challenging course, ready for some dry clothes and a hot drink.
With a hit of the gong, each team completes the challenging course, ready for some dry clothes and a hot drink. Zubair Hirji / The Ubyssey

A UBC tradition, this year was another successful run for Day of the Longboat. Teams triumphed, paddlers paddled and one lucky member of each team got to hit the gong. How else would you spend your weekend?