Dinos deliver first loss of the season to UBC women’s soccer

The UBC Thunderbirds women’s soccer team broke their eight-game win streak with a 2–3 loss to the University of Calgary Dinos on Sunday, September 25. The two teams had last played each other in the U Sports championship final for the 2019/20 season in Victoria.

The Thunderbirds started off strong getting the first shot on goal less than one minute into the match by forward Danielle Steer. Steer’s momentum continued through the first half, netting her the first goal of the game, assisted by midfielder Nisa Reehal.

Despite the T-Birds’ promising first goal, the Dinos were hungry for a win coming off of Friday’s 1–1 draw against the Victoria Vikes. The Dinos scored their first two goals in rapid succession, the first by forward Erica Mysko assisted by midfielder Sofia DiGiacomo. The Dinos’ second goal came less than two minutes later, when they were awarded a free kick from the right side of the field. Midfielder Jayden Berg took the kick, setting up a perfect shot for forward Rachel Barlow and securing the lead going into halftime.

Within the first five minutes of the second half, the Thunderbirds answered back with their second goal. Taking advantage of the T-Birds’ empty half of the field, goalkeeper Sarah Johns left the net behind and sent the ball right back down to the Dinos’ end, setting up a shot for Tolnai. Dinos goalkeeper Casy Leask made the save, but Reehal was able to collect a point on the rebound.

After an exciting close game, Barlow clinched the Dinos’ final goal, settling the scoreboard at 2–3 for the Dinos by the last whistle.

The UBC Thunderbirds will return to Thunderbird Stadium on September 30 at 5 p.m. to face the UBC Okanagan Heat.