Words by ’Birds: From redshirt to goalie of the year.

This season, our team — UBC women's field hockey— broke a national record. We were the first team to win six consecutive U Sport National Championships in field hockey. On top of that, I had a “Cinderella season” winning Canada West Goalie of the Year.

But coming into the season, I never anticipated these successes.

My journey to Canada West Goalie of the Year was unique. In my first year, I was everywhere except on the pitch. Along with my co-redshirt Amy Jones, I wore many hats. Unable to contribute on field, I became an expert videographer, commentator, emcee and comedic relief.

It was difficult to come to terms with my roles at first, but I knew that being a part of our program, team culture and group was an incredible opportunity. Soon enough, I realized that it didn’t matter what role I was in as long as I was a part of the team.

At the time, our team had the two strongest goalies in the country — Lauren Logush and Rowan Harris. Both were making waves representing Canada, so it was unlikely for me to get any playing time. Although mentally trying, that first season allowed me to make some of the most amazing friends and memories, and I am very grateful for that time.

That group defied all the odds, and earned a come-from-behind fourth consecutive win at Nationals in Toronto. I was not present, but I watched attentively back home with Amy. At the end of the season, I had found my place, on the sidelines or in the video tower, knowing that everyone on the team respected and valued me.

As the self-deprecating “benchwarmer” jokes became part of my comedic portfolio, Lauren approached me and planted a seed. She was considering heading overseas to play professionally.

I still didn’t get my hopes up because it was only a possibility. Yet, we realized mid-summer that Lauren was off to Europe and I was in. This time, come team announcement, I made the roster. I was so excited to train and travel with my best friends, but I still did not expect to play that season. Rowan had made serious gains in her first year and I had mostly plateaued — consistency is key.

I saw a few games during that season, which was awesome. Rowan had an incredible run, winning our fifth consecutive National Championship in a thrilling shootout. I was so proud of her, and I still am.

Come third year, I had completely settled in my role on the team and in my position. I was looking forward to the prospect of joining the Block Club — which you do after playing for two years on a team.

But during the summer right before third year, Rowan was in San Diego with the Canadian National Team, playing the US National Team in a test series. In a tip, a member of the US team collided into Rowan, resulting in an MCL injury. She would need around six to eight weeks to recover. I was sad for my partner in crime, then anxious because I was now the interim starter.

The season rolled around, playing our first game against our rivals, the University of Victoria (UVic) Vikes. The incessant cowbells (not including yours, Mr. Haughn — we love your cowbell) did not get in the way of us pulling away a tie. I felt anxious, but also confident going into the game. I had a good performance, only allowing one goal, tying the match 1-1. This was the moment where I felt I could do this. I could be the goalie that my team needed.

Fast forward to Canada West Championships. We reclaimed the title back from the Vikes and I won Canada West Goalie of the year. It still gives me goosebumps because of how unexpected it was. I remember standing in the lineup, saying to power defender Cailean Meredith that the UVic goalie would take home Goalie of the Year. Then my name got called and I was in total shock. It was a major highlight, especially because I could not have seen it coming. Shout out to the team for playing incredible defence and making me look good.

['']
['']

Heading into the Nationals, I was pretty excited. Rowan had recovered and was ready to play, and I was pumped to take the pitch with her. The day before the tournament, my coach sat me down and told me that we would be starting with Rowan, but that I should be prepared to play. I had anticipated this and was glad that Rowan was going to get some playing time with her family there to watch.

But in the first game of the tournament, Rowan took a hit to the head. With a history of concussions, I knew something was wrong.

We were rooming together which was an interesting situation. I am an overbearing and concerned mom and Rowan is like a moody teenager (in the best way possible, Roo!). So I fought all my maternal urges and I tried to give her as much space as possible in our little hotel room.

She played the next game and her symptoms worsened. I was worried that she would struggle to recover from this concussion and I began wrapping my head around playing.

After our first two games, regardless of the result of the third, we had already qualified for the final. To give Rowan’s head some rest, I played the third game. We claimed a convincing 5-0 win against Guelph and we played some of the best team hockey.

We were off to the final against UVic, a repeat matchup from last year. Rowan was prepared to play, but after our coach got off the phone with the team doctor, they decided that she would have to sit the game out. This meant that I would be playing.

When the announcement was made in the team meeting — three hours before playing time — a wave of anxiety came over me as it always does. This was partly due to my roommate being stripped of winning a championship by another injury, and partly because I had to play. But I was ready.

I put on “Off the Wall” by Michael Jackson, and got my mind ready. We arrived at the field, Rowan and I did our handshake, and I started to warm-up. Warm-up was great. I ate a handful of Skittles (#beastmode) — one of my pre-game rituals — and took the pitch. With my best friends on the field, my family in the stands and the belief that we could do this, the whistle blew and we were on our way.

In the first half, Amanda Kurianowicz came at me in a one-on-one. She runs frantically and I knew that if I challenged her, I could force her to make a mistake. I stacked my pads blocking her shot and then blocking the rebound.

The second half rolled around and they earned a cheap penalty corner. This time, Amanda did not waste her opportunity and she buried a great tip over my left pad.

I replayed the shot in my head. I asked Paul, our video and tech person in the video booth above me, if in fact she had tipped it and he confirmed that it had been executed perfectly. I moved on. No more goals would pass.

With eight minutes to go, we earned a corner and Gabby Jayme scored an incredible tip. We had tied the game.

We ended the game in a tie and we headed to shootouts. Just writing this is bringing back the chills. I exchanged the masks with Rowan, she asked me how I felt and I told her, “Let's go get them.”

One by one, the Vikes approached me. Each pulled right trying to pass me — each unsuccessful as I stripped the ball from them. Rachel Donohoe and Sarah Keglowitsch walked two beautiful goals past the UVic keeper. It was up to me to put this one away and to stop the fourth shot.

That is exactly what I did.

The next thing I knew, I was on the ground. My team had piled on top of me. This goes down as the best moment in my life.

Our team has been the greatest example of believing in a dream bigger than any one of us individually and working tirelessly to achieve it. Our unwavering belief has been the driving force behind our success, and the connection we have as a team and family is what inspires us to keep pushing.

I am so grateful for my teammates, coaching staff, trainers and family. I never could have imagined that this would be my experience. I’ve said it before, but I am honoured every time I pull the Thunderbird jersey over my head.

I can’t wait for what’s to come.