Tipping the scales: Men's hockey split pre-season double-header against Queen's

The T-Birds, fresh off a commanding 8-3 win against the Simon Fraser University Clan in the Captain’s Cup last weekend, attempted to continue their momentum in a double-header against the Queen’s University Gaels on Friday and Saturday.

It was the Ontario side that took control of the first game early on. The Gaels put up 12 shots against ’Birds goalie Matt Hewitt in the first period, while UBC was only able to respond with three shots on goal of their own.

Despite the lopsidedness of shots on goal, the ’Birds were still putting the pressure on Queen’s as play bounced from end to end. Hewitt remained solid in goal for the ’Birds, who just weren’t able to complete any plays or challenge Queen’s goalie Jacob Brennan.

The goal drought finally ended close to nine minutes into the second period when Gaels forward Darcy Greenaway scored to take a 1-0 lead.

UBC came roaring back in the third period, outshooting the Gaels 12-4. Still, the ’Birds weren’t able to get anything past Brennan.

North Vancouver native and Queen’s second-year forward Eric Margo put the nail in the coffin for UBC, scoring with just under four minutes left in the game. With the final buzzer, Queen’s clenched the 2-0 win.

Saturday afternoon’s game started off looking as if the end result would be similar to that of the previous night. UBC’s Austin Glover earned himself a two-minute minor penalty for cross-checking 12 minutes into the first period, from which Greenaway would score Queen’s’ first powerplay goal of the weekend.

The Thunderbirds responded with their own powerplay goal early in the second, courtesy of the very same player to have set Queen’s up for theirs — Austin Glover.

The T-Birds kept the momentum going in the third, with Matt Revel letting loose a massive slapshot six minutes into the period to give the ’Birds their first lead of the weekend. UBC — especially goalie Hewitt — held off the Gaels for the rest of the game to hold onto a 2-1 win and split the weekend with the Kingston side.

The ’Birds will play their final preseason game next Saturday at 2 p.m. against the Trinity Western University Spartans to finish off the Captain’s Cup series. After that, they’ll travel to Winnipeg the first weekend of October for a double-header against the University of Manitoba Bisons.