TAC athlete of the week: Madelyn Brunt

Often we focus purely on the achievements of athletes. Rarely do we look at the setbacks they had to face. For fourth-year cross-country runner Madelyn Brunt, the road to the 2017 season wasn’t easy.

Faced with a stress fracture in early 2017 and forced to sit out months of training, the All-American harrier fell far behind her teammates and competitors in terms of fitness. While a setback like this would discourage even the best of us, Brunt used it as motivation to come back even stronger.

Her rehabilitation was long — from crutches, to the pool, to the bike and then slowly jogging. Eventually, she was able to join the team again, stronger and better than ever.

['']
[''] Courtesy Rich Lam/UBC Athletics

What’s more, with the loss of top runner Natalia Hawthorn from last year’s championship winning team, Brunt’s veteran team status — she is now in her last year of NAIA cross-country eligibility — put her in a position to step up and help lead the women’s cross-country team to another team title this season.

At the 43rd Annual Charles Bowles Willamette Invitational in Oregon on September 30, Brunt ran her best five kilometre time yet and finished second overall. The fourth-year kinesiology major continues to show that she is an invaluable part of the cross-country roster, putting up a time of 17:48.9.

Brunt is also a member of UBC’s track and field team, running in the steeplechase. She is from Victoria, BC.

Max Trummer is a member of the men’s varsity cross-country team and an executive in charge of community outreach and engagement on the Thunderbird Athletes Council (TAC). TAC athlete of the week is voted upon by varsity team representatives.