Top 10 Thunderbird moments of 2023

This was an eventful year for all the Thunderbird varsity teams. From program firsts to podium finishes across 26 teams, it’s hard to keep track of them all. Here is The Ubyssey’s list of the top 10 moments you might have forgotten about this year.

10) Men's basketball and the pizza-winning shot at Courtside

Esaie Maurancy sunk the men’s ninth three-pointer in the 2022/23 season’s Courtside festival, sending the student hype section free pizza slices in the final seconds of the 83–68 win. Unfortunately, there was no pizza for this season’s version as the men fell to the Vikes 70–58, but the women won their game 72–52.

9) Rookie captures first UBC decathlon since 2010

In the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) track and field national championships, rookie Nate Paris won the men’s decathlon with first place finishes in the 100m dash, 110m hurdles, long jump and 400m race. His gold medal helped the ‘Birds to a second-place men’s team finish — just shy of completing a double-championship for UBC as the women’s team captured the NAIA banner.

8) Men’s hockey starts the season on a scoring spree

In preseason play, the T-Birds had a 29–10 goal differential and it didn’t stop there. Now halfway through their regular season, they’ve scored 5 or more goals in 10 of 18 games, with some scores going as high as 8–1. With former player Matt Revel now behind the bench as the assistant coach, it seems the ‘Birds are on track for one of their best seasons yet.

7) Baseball wins first conference title

With a 11–7 win over Oregon Tech University, the Thunderbirds captured their first Cascade Collegiate Conference banner for the first time in the program’s 26 years. UBC trailed after five innings but a stunning batting performance from Trent Lenihan and continued excellence from pitcher Ryan Beitel propelled the ‘Birds to a come-from-behind victory.

6) Football wins Homecoming for first time since 2017

In front of a sold-out crowd, the ‘Birds had a dominant win over the University of Alberta Golden Bears. Although they ran a deficit in the first quarter, the team turned it around with strong plays from both the offensive and defensive lines to beat the Bears 54–37.

5) Season sweep from rugby sevens team

After a successful rugby 15s season, the sevens team jumped into their tournaments as the favourite. With performances from Savannah Bauder and Shoshannah Seumanutafata, they had an undefeated season, easily winning their first ever Canada West championship.

4) Women’s golf earns another national title

In June, the women’s golf team won their sixth consecutive Canadian University/College Golf championship and the program’s 16th overall. Sonja Tang took the top spot with a -4 score while teammates Grace Bell and Elizabeth Labbe tied for second place at +1.

3) T-Birds come back to win Hardy Cup

In a dramatic turn of events in the last play, the Thunderbirds beat the University of Alberta Golden Bears 28–27 for the Hardy Cup, the Canada West championship.Quarterback Garrett Rooker and Sam Davenport had unbelievable chemistry to make the touchdown while Kieran Flannery-Fleck kicked the conversation for the game winning point.

2) Women’s soccer bounces back to win national title

After a narrow loss to Trinity Western University Spartans in the Canada West finals, UBC bounced back and beat TWU 1–0 in the U Sports gold medal game. The win marks their first national title since 2019 and their eighth overall.

1) T-Birds capture 13th women’s volleyball championship at home

The atmosphere in War Memorial Gym was electric during the women’s volleyball national finals in March. The eight-seeded hosts beat rival Trinity Western University in 5 close sets for their 13th national title and head coach Doug Reimer’s 10th.