Whitecaps FC2 fall short of winning again

Whitecaps FC2 conceded a late goal for the second consecutive game and were held to a 2-2 draw against the Oklahoma City Energy in front of a home crowd on Sunday. The Caps got a goal from UBC’s own Chris Serban and an own goal courtesy of Oklahoma City’s Coady Andrews but were unable to put the Energy away and Michael Thomas’ 87th minute header ensured WFC2 remained winless in their last six matches.

The home team started sluggishly despite being well rested compared to the visitors who had played in Seattle on Friday. Nine minutes in the Energy were on the board as Sebastian Dalgaard skipped by a number of weak challenges from the Whitecaps’ defenders before setting up Casey Townsend, who, in turn, found midfielder Kyle Grieg at the back post for a tap in. Vancouver responded three minutes later thanks to some good fortune as Ben McKendry’s low cross clipped off of Oklahoma City right-back Andrews for the own goal equalizer 12 minutes in.

Despite being level on the scoreboard, WFC2 were on their heels for the majority of the first half as an inexperienced back line, missing regulars Tim Parker and Christian Dean, struggled to maintain order. Marco Carducci, who was in goal for Vancouver, had to be sharp as he bailed out both Jackson Farmer and Craig Nitti with fine saves before WFC2 could get their footing in the game.

Whitecaps FC2 started turning the momentum just before halftime as McKendry and Farmer both struck the post before the half, then Serban finally got the break through fifteen minutes after halftime. The 19-year-old full-back pounced on a poor clearance from the Energy and fired his shot off an Oklahoma City defender and in for his first career USL goal.

Fatigue seemed to set in for the visitors as Vancouver dominated most of the second half creating a number of glorious scoring chances. Victor Blasco and Caleb Clarke both took turns being turned away by Oklahoma City keeper Evan Newton when they each should have scored. As is often the case, the inability to capitalize on these great chances came back to bite WFC2 as Micheal Harris’ long flip throw was headed off the bar and in by Michael Thomas in the 87th minute to tie the game at two. The draw means that WFC2 remain stuck on one win for the year and are still in search of their first home victory of the season.

“If we take those chances then the game is 4-1 and the game is over,” said head coach Alan Koch. “We don’t and unfortunately we allow them to come back in and score a flip throw goal…. It doesn’t matter how you score as long as you score and give them credit, they scored and they leave here with a point.”

“Obviously it’s frustrating not to be getting three points but I think the performances have been there,” said midfielder McKendry. “It’s not like we’ve been getting run over by older players or anything. We’re playing well it’s just not been going in the back of the net.… We have a lot to look forward to.”

One thing the Whitecaps have to look forward to is a matchup against the Real Salt Lake Monarchs next Sunday at Thunderbird Stadium. The Monarchs currently occupy the basement of the western conference standings and will provide an ample opportunity for the young Caps’ to register their first home win of the year.