The extension of PHO cancels the annual Winter Classic and Courtside

The annual Winter Classic and Courtside are cancelled due to the recent extension of the BC public health orders regarding indoor gatherings, UBC Athletics announced today.

“With the current guidance from the PHO along with continuing attendance restrictions, UBC Athletics is unable to safely encourage the added festivities and spectator engagement traditionally expected and available to us,” reads the statement.

UBC Athletics announced on January 21 regarding postponing the annual Winter Classic, which was set to happen on January 21, due to the health guidelines from the BC Provincial Health Officer (PHO) at the time.

The Winter Classic and Courtside are the two largest events of the year for their respective sports, where thousands of students gather to show their Thunderbird spirit.

“When public health orders become less restrictive, we’ll continue to explore opportunities to further engage our student and campus community,” the statement reads.

Despite the cancellation of two events, the T-Birds games will proceed with 50 per cent of venue capacity.

The men’s hockey team will be away in Regina, Saskatchewan and the women's hockey team will be in Calgary, Alberta for double headers this weekend, while both men’s and women’s basketball teams have a week off before they head to Victoria to play against the Vikes on February 4.