All UBC libraries to close starting March 20

To heighten protective health measures around COVID-19 exposure, all UBC Library location at both Vancouver and Okanagan campuses — including the Irving K Barber Learning Centre — will be closed March 20 at 5 p.m. until April 6 at 9 a.m.

Other service changes were announced along with the closures in an online service update notice.

The Library is urging students, faculty and staff to connect to online resources as access to print materials will be unavailable. If students need to connect to print-only material, they will be able to request electronic copies of materials through library.orders@ubc.ca. Don’t wait until the last minute though, as it may take some time to process and complete your request. Print copies of InterLibrary loans will also be inaccessible.

This is the same for print version of course reserves. While physical access to materials will be restricted, library staff will be working on delivering electronic copies of reserve material to those who request them.

Librarians and library staff will still be accessible to meet student and faculty research needs. Staff will be available through email or the AskAway service to answer any research question.

All materials can be renewed online and late fees since March 16 have been cancelled until “the situation changes.” Recalled items do not need to be returned until the libraries reopen.

Basically, all this mean plan ahead on the materials you will need and don’t procrastinate starting your research papers!

This story will be updated as the situation changes and more information is gathered. For more UBC information on COVID-19, please consult the BCCDC website or https://www.ubyssey.ca/covid-19/.