Chancellor Steven Point not seeking reappointment

UBC Chancellor Steven Lewis Point is planning to step down from the position next year when his three-year term concludes.

Board of Governors Chair Nancy McKenzie announced Point’s decision to not seek reappointment for a second term in a broadcast message sent Monday morning.

“We are grateful to Mr. Point for his tremendous contributions to the university, both before and during his time as Chancellor. We look forward to continuing to work closely with him until his term ends, in particular his leadership of the Presidential Search Committee,” McKenzie wrote.

UBC’s chancellor advocates on behalf of the university and serves in an ambassadorial role for the university’s partnerships with alumni and community members. They also preside over convocation ceremonies.

Point, who previously served as the Lieutenant Governor of BC, was the first Indigenous person to be chancellor at UBC when he was appointed in July 2020. He is a member of the Skowkale First Nation.

The announcement comes as the university was already going through the process of reappointing Point. In an October 31 broadcast message, Ross Langford, chair of the Chancellor Reappointment Committee, announced that Point was being considered for the position again, along with the members of the reappointment committee.

It is unclear why Point chose to step down instead of seeking reappointment.

McKenzie said the reappointment committee will be disbanded and replaced by a search committee in her broadcast on Monday. She added that nominations and further details will be provided in 2023.

“In the meantime, I would like to say what an honour and privilege it has been to work with Steven, and to extend my personal thanks for his commitment to UBC. I hope he will continue to play a role in our community,” she wrote.