Students congregate in front of the Nest to protest Hong Kong anti-mask law

On Monday, October 7 students gathered to protest the Hong Kong government’s enactment of a colonial-era law, which was used to ban face masks during public gatherings.

At 3 p.m. on Monday, approximately 50 to 100 students rallied outside the Nest in protest of Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam’s use of emergency powers to ban the wearing of face masks during public gatherings. While speeches and chants were shouted from one end of the plaza, a smaller group of pro-Chinese government counter-protesters gathered at the other.

“I think the counter-protest and our rally both went smooth and well,” said Davin Wong, a third-year political science student and spokesperson for UBC group The Enlightenment of Hong Kong (EHK). “… We originally wanted to invite [pro-Chinese government students] to speak as well. Probably next time.”

The rally was organized by the EHK, both in solidarity with the Hong Kong protests and to raise awareness of the Hong Kong government’s enactment of the Emergency Response Ordinance (ERO) Friday, October 4 which they used to instate the anti-mask law.

The ERO, created in 1922 and last used in 1966, allowed the government powers to bypass legislation and “make any regulations whatsoever which he (or she) may consider desirable in the public interest,” according to Hong Kong’s legislation. Critics claim the ordinance could give Lam carte blanche powers to pass any law, under emergency circumstances.

The anti-mask law bans the use of facial coverings or paints that obscure one’s identity at protests or public processions. Exceptions are made for masks serving religious, medical or professional purposes. Those who disobey could face up to a year in jail and an HK$25,000 fine.

“As a responsible government, we have the duty to use all available means in order to stop the escalating violence,” said Lam at a press conference on Friday. “…We believe that the new law will create a deterrent effect against masked, violent protesters and rioters.”

“[The ERO] will destroy the freedom of Hong Kong people, and it will destroy the reputation of Hong Kong's freedom,” said Jimmy Leung, one of the leaders of EHK.

['auto'] Zubair Hirji

The pro-Hong Kong demonstrators arrived in all black, wearing face masks in protest of the new law and holding posters bearing slogans like “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death.” Their speeches reflected the tension and unease surrounding the ERO, which protesters worry could be used to reintroduce the canceled extradition bill, censor media, confiscate assets of individuals or organizations and more.

“A mask has been a symbol and protection against the intensifying police brutality, including the thousands of rounds of tear gas in the past few months, and indiscriminate arrests,” said Wong in his speech. “The ban on face masks only exacerbates the violence against citizens by the police. The regime is putting Hong Kongers to death.”

Later, the floor was opened to outside speakers, who spoke out against the Kashmiri conflict and Canada’s genocide of Indigenous peoples. Then followed the singing of the Hong Kong anthem and the group chanting of slogans like “Five demands, not one less,” and “Stop the emergency law.

Meanwhile, a group of pro-Chinese government counter-protesters had gathered on the other side of the plaza. They waved Chinese flags, held posters and played videos of violent protests in Hong Kong.

“[The Hong Kong protests] are totally terrorism,” said a pro-Chinese government demonstrator who asked to remain anonymous. “They’re totally destroying the city … I feel horrible [for] Hong Kong citizens.”

['auto'] Zubair Hirji

While counter-protesters acknowledged the pro-Hong Kong demonstrators’ freedom of expression, they denounced the violence that is occurring in the city. A few made reference to violent Hong Kong protests over the weekend, sparked by their government’s enactment of the ERO.

“There's always two [sides] of the same issue. And people should see the whole picture … The anti-mask [law] is against all violent protest or unlawful protest. This [anti-mask law] is in many other countries in the world,” said another anonymous counter-protester.

Despite tensions, the rally resolved peacefully between the two sides.

“I hope we have the opportunity to convince [pro-Chinese government supporters] to join us as well,” said Wong. “We're not trying to make enemies here”