As support grows, VPD resumes search for grad student Jordan Naterer

The Vancouver Police Department has resumed its search for UBC grad student Jordan Naterer.

Princeton Ground Search and Rescue Society posted on its Facebook page early Thursday morning that it had “been reactivated by the Vancouver Police Department to resume the search” for Naterer.

"Searchers are back on site today due to a safe weather window. Searchers are using a drone to re-search specific areas that have already been searched," Constable Tania Visintin wrote in an email.

Naterer was reported missing on Monday, October 13 after he failed to show up to a Thanksgiving dinner. He had gone hiking in EC Manning Provincial Park alone the weekend prior and his car was found at the Frosty Mountain Trailhead.

Constable Visintin wrote in an email that the search has involved multiple agencies, three helicopters, seven search and rescue teams and Naterer’s family and friends.

“An exhaustive area search was conducted over five days. After consultation and with multiple search and rescue teams and Emergency Management BC, the search was … suspended,” on Saturday night, Visintin wrote.

“Factors taken into consider[ation] include the exhaustive area search conducted, safety of the Search and Rescue teams and the weather conditions. All partners continue to be in regular contact.”

Naterer’s family have organized their own search-and-rescue efforts. The search and rescue teams, along with community volunteers, have located three objects that they say are clues to Naterer’s whereabouts. Naterer’s father Greg tweeted that synthetic down was found near the Monument 78/73 trail crossover, saying the material is used in “pillow fillers and by Jordan to make crafts.”

Greg Naterer also reported that Jordan’s white hat and Oakley glasses were found a few kilometres from Frosty Mountain peak. Jordan’s sister Julia launched a GoFundMe to raise money for search efforts and a petition asking the VPD to restart its search.

As of writing, the GoFundMe has raised $62,000 and the petition has over 35,000 signatures.

The case has garnered national attention, with the leader of the opposition in the Newfoundland Legislature asking the house leader to resume the search for Naterer, who is originally from the province. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised to look into the search.

Naterer is 25 years old, 5 foot 11 inches and 190 pounds. He was last seen on October 10 wearing black pants, white running shoes and a green backpack. Investigators encourage anyone with information on his whereabouts to call a dedicated tip line for leads on Naterer’s disappearance at 604.717.3939.

This article has been updated to include comments from the VPD.