Why dad blazers are the fashion statement you need to make this fall

Whether it's straight off the runway or the rack, an oversized blazer gives Sofia Richie old-money elegance without breaking the bank.

Fall is full of pumpkin spice lattes and cozy fashion, but it's also midterm season. When the going gets tough, the urge to dress cute gets tougher — I could probably write an entire thesis on the timelessness of this closet staple, and with the recent resurgence of the "quiet luxury" fashion, now is a better time than any.

This is your autumn style guide, so whip out that expensive Armani oversized suit jacket (or a knock-off equivalent), because we are taking “dad blazers” to the next level.

Wall Street Chic 

You don't need to be giving a presentation in the Sauder building to look like an up-and-coming business tycoon. Nothing says "take me seriously" like a blazer and a pair of long tailored trousers to match. You have a coffee chat with a really important person? A job interview? A crisp suit from your father's closet is just the outfit you need to give yourself a stylish edge.

A good blazer can be expensive, but some may argue it is an investment piece — alternatively, I say beg, borrow or steal (from your parent). University is all about networking, and you have to look natty for certain events. Over a cocktail dress or a perfect pair of pants, a blazer is just what you need to seal any deal. 

Blown away yet? 

I am a constant victim of the unrelenting wind on campus, so what better way to fight back than by layering? The great thing about wearing clothes that are a little too big for you is that in the cold, this works in your favour. A striped shirt, a sweater and an oversized blazer are the three key ingredients to staying warm while still looking like you belong on a Pinterest board. With the return of 90s fashion, vests have made a comeback — wearing one under a blazer is a match that just screams Vogue.

Pyjamas or Parisian? 

I have always believed there is no such thing as being "overdressed," but as we get further into the term, my will to dress up leaves and the sweatpants make their dreaded, yet inevitable appearance. The casual nature of sweatpants combined with a structured blazer makes for an effortless but chic look. Opting for a matching set can give the illusion of style and class without the actual effort. The whole look gives a new meaning to business casual — you now have a dapper outfit for class without forgoing your snuggly pants.

Put it in neutral

Like in an essay with a 500-word limit, you may have to say more with less. Large shoulder pads aren't the vibe at 8 a.m., but if you do want to try your luck with them, dress the rest of the outfit down with tighter pants and sneakers. Another easy way to dress down an outfit is by opting for more neutral colours: brown, beige and white go with everything.

For all the athletes who want to look just as cute in class as they do in the gym, Bella Hadid has mastered the art of throwing on a blazer over gym wear — I believe you can follow in her footsteps!

So the next time you're home for the holidays, consider starting your Christmas shopping at home with some Christmas “borrowing.” Upcycling vintage garments and giving them a new life is the best part of fashion — you just have to give them that personal touch.