Letter from the GSS president

Welcome to the Graduate Student Society (GSS) of UBC Vancouver, a society representing the interests of the over 10,000 graduate students studying at UBC. As the president of the GSS and a PhD student myself, I can assure you that the GSS is here to advocate for ALL grad students.

The GSS is directed by an executive team of elected graduate students who work together to serve the academic, social, intellectual, cultural and recreational interests of graduate students, as well as kickstart initiatives related to voter registration and climate action. Our executive team of five graduate students, together with GSS Council, committees and GSS staff, lead the society to provide support, financial aid, resources, advocacy and social events to connect grad students across campus with each other, the university and with provincial and federal governments.

In addition to strong support for all academic needs, the GSS provides a range of pro- grams, events and various learning outcomes for graduate students to enrich their campus lives and beyond. At the GSS, collaboration, flexibility, continuity and empathy are our proud core values that fuel the excellent service we provide to our graduate students.

If you are interested in improving graduate students’ experiences at UBC, join the GSS! All graduate students can join the team or the various committees as their input and initiatives will directly contribute to the society’s success. For more information, please check out gss.ubc.ca.

I encourage you to maximize your potential in achieving your personal and professional goals at the GSS. Welcome to the GSS and enjoy your work!

Sam Kenston

GSS President