Santa's top 10 places on campus

Since I first came here in 2016, I’ve come to know and love this campus. Here are my top 10 (11, actually) places to go:

1. The Nest: The Alma Mater Society calls the Nest “UBC’s most exciting building” and who am I to argue? It has everything — shops, restaurants, spaces to socialize and even a climbing wall! Best of all, it belongs to you and your fellow UBC students.
  2. UBC libraries: Did you know there are eight libraries at UBC Vancouver, ranging from the Asian Library to the X̱wi7x̱wa Library? UBC has one of the best university library systems in the world and UBC librarians are happy to help with all your studying and research needs.
  3. UBC Bookstore: The bookstore has textbooks, but it also stocks UBC-branded clothes, water bottles, electronics, greeting cards, chocolates and TransLink Compass Cards.
  4. Nitobe Memorial Garden: The Nitobe Memorial Garden is a wonderful place to destress. It’s beautiful in every season and is considered one of the best Japanese gardens outside of Japan.
  5. UBC Farm: You can also get back to nature at the UBC Farm. Yes, there’s a real working farm right on the UBC Vancouver campus! It has orchards, gardens, pasture, crop fields and even bee hives and chicken coops. You can also buy fresh eggs and produce at the farmer’s markets held on campus and at the farm.
  6. Reconciliation Pole: The 55-foot red cedar Reconciliation Pole on Main Mall is beautiful, moving and evocative. I urge you to visit and contemplate this work which tells the story of the time before, during and after the residential school system — a system that caused so much harm to Indigenous peoples.
  7. First Nations Longhouse: Be sure to visit the First Nations Longhouse, a prize-winning building that reflects the Indigenous architectural traditions of the Northwest Coast. It’s a central hub for programming and services for Indigenous students, the university and the wider community.
  8. Museum of Anthropology: People come from all over the world to see the Arthur Erickson-designed Museum of Anthropology and it’s right in your backyard. Admission is free for UBC students! Also check out UBC’s other museums and galleries (like the Beaty Biodiversity Museum with its blue whale skeleton) — they’re free for students as well.
  9. Aquatic Centre: I love the new Aquatic Centre (especially the lazy river water feature). The Centre offers both competition and recreation pools, hot tubs, saunas, natural lighting and much more. UBC students can swim for free during drop-in hours.
  10. Chan Centre for the Performing Arts: You’ll be coming to the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts on your last day, when you graduate, but don’t wait that long to check out this stunning performance hall. The Chan Centre hosts lots of concerts (some free!) for every musical taste.
  11. Get out there: My final go-to place: anywhere outdoors. UBC Vancouver has old-growth forests, beaches, trails and much more. Enjoy your spectacular campus any time of year!