Becoming a self-isolation gamer

I’ve been practicing social distancing since March 14th and washing my hands since I came out of the womb. Social distancing has led many people to turn to learning new things, reviving old hobbies, and let themselves rest. Unfortunately, I have devolved into much worse.

Day 1

I spent the day neglecting all student responsibilities. Canvas is a website for nerds and I deserve a break from refreshing my email. I’ll watch my online lectures tomorrow.

Day 2

I got added to three different discord servers. I’ve had Discord for over 2 years, but only used it to play Skribblio. I’m still having trouble navigating the different channels.

Day 4

I downloaded Minecraft after much internal turmoil. My friend Simon, the truest homie, gave me his login and I will bother him with Google-able questions until further notice.

Day 6

I accidentally got added to a Boys ONLY discord and “no one knows who invited me”. I’ve been joking with them for years that I was one of the bros and, whether they believe it or not, Discord has spoken.

Day 7

Animal Crossing: New Horizons came out. I don’t have a switch, but some of my friends do. I have yet to truly capitalize on it. My Twitter timeline is flooded with Animal Crossing content and its release is making me wish I had my DS with me. I played Animal Crossing before it was cool.

Day 8

My friend said they were tilted over FaceTime and I thought I truly had gone back in time to Grade 12. MonkaS. I played Secret Hitler online at 1am after Skyping my family. I went to sleep at 2:30am.

Day 9

I reminded myself that pain is temporary and GPA is forever, so I put on my favorite lo-fi study playlist and got to work. Maybe I wasn’t turning into a gamer after all. It was just a phase that I would soon grow out of.

Day 10

I watched an episode of Terrace House and listened to SPICYSOL while making food. I played some guitar and just vibed all day bro.

Day 11

I thought it would be practical to have a headset, so I think my brain cell count has hit the negatives. My sister didn’t know what Secret Hitler or Discord were. I made the assumption that everyone knew of these things and I was terribly mistaken.