Here are our top illustrations of the year

This year, I had the amazing opportunity to work with a team of creative, talented and driven illustrators! I couldn’t have asked for a better year and a better illustrations team. A big shout-out to everyone who provided illustrations to articles this year and shared their unique art styles with The Ubyssey!

Thank you to everyone who volunteered,

Ella Chan

Ubyssey illustrations coordinator

Jack Yuan

I took up illustration at a young age because I always loved the idea of showing others cool concepts that I’d cooked up in my head. The idea of giving others joy also brings me a sense of fulfilment. Lastly, it’s just really fun!

['auto'] Jack Yuan

Alex Vanderput

This year, I was struggling to find somewhere at UBC where I could feel like I fit in. I’m so glad I found out about illustrating for The Ubyssey and decided to try it out. It has honestly been the highlight of my term. I love having the opportunity to be creative (I’m in science) and getting to see my artwork in print!

['auto'] Alex Vanderput

Maged

I grew up drawing moustaches for every single picture I found in my textbooks. When I was done with all of them... I started drawing people to give them moustaches.

['auto'] Maged

Kristine Ho

For this piece, I really wanted to convey the weight and scope of the emotional labour that racialized faculty can end up carrying. I hope that the tilted angles and shadow, as well as the size and placement of the people, captured that sort of physical and psychological gravity.

['auto'] Kristine Ho

Maja Maj

Like most people, I’ve been making art since I was a kid, but I started to properly fall in love with digital illustration after I bought my first drawing tablet. Over the years, my style has evolved and currently I am most interested in graphic design, minimalism, paper craft and expression of the human body. I’ve always found art to be a very rewarding skill and pastime, and I love noticing how it’s being used in the world around me!

['auto'] Maja Maj