Streeters: UBC students on nano-units

UBC plans to develop a new residence building by 2019 that will feature relatively affordable (sub-$700) “micro-apartments” for students. A full-sized model replica was constructed next to CiTR in the Nest and we talked to some students who were checking it out.

How do you feel about the units?

['']
['']

I think this is a really good idea. You can kind of accommodate a lot of students in just one building and the price is really affordable. It might not be good to invite a lot of friends over.

-Lindsay Zhou, biochemistry

I think this would be great. The rent is cheaper compared to where I’m living in Marine Drive. I don’t really need that much space, so a little space is good enough for me. Probably for a lot of people, like my friends, they live in a studio and they think this place is small. I don’t know how they’re gonna live in a smaller place like this.

-Tyas Kinanti, biochemistry

['']
['']

A pro is that, as a society, we collect a lot of things and this will allow me to live very [minimally], so that’d be very nice. In terms of sustainability, it’s really efficient just to have a lot of people living in one building like this. A con is that, when you cook, the smell would get everywhere — into your sheets and into your clothes — and it could really get claustrophobic. I don’t see myself spending all my time in it.  

Would you live in one?

I think it’s a really cool concept and I would live in here, but the price is a bit expensive. But the idea of letting more students live on-campus and kind of being all in this self-contained space is really cool. I like contained spaces and everything in one room. 

-Niklas Agarwal, geography 

['']
['']

It looks like it’s not as much storage space as I like, but I think that encourages you to drop the fodder — only keep what you need. The high [ceilings] are really nice — it makes you feel not as cramped, so that’s a big plus. 

Would you live in one?

Yeah, it looks pretty nice for the price. I’m on-campus and I’m definitely paying a lot more right now so I’d live there. 

-Daniel Jonasson, biology 

['']
['']

[For this] price and the size? I’d rather commute from somewhere cheaper. It’s kinda cute, though. There’s not a lot of storage so I’d probably have to keep riding to my parents’ house. I have way too many clothes than what’s in [the apartment’s example] closet. 

-Kendra Reiter, sociology

It does have everything you relatively need, but I’d rather room with multiple people. It’s just going to have a more “stacked-on people” kind of thing. I mean, I just enjoy space. It doesn’t provide that much space and I need that to let loose.

Kelsey Moy, Forestry [declined headshot]