Candidate profile: Drédyn Fontana, VP academic and university affairs

Drédyn Fontana is running for AMS VP academic and university affairs (AUA) under a platform of increased affordability, accessibility and equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI).

The fourth-year applied science and international relations student and recently acclaimed applied science student senator said his experience as the current VP academic of the Engineering Undergraduate Society and as a student-at-large on the AMS’s advocacy committee will set him up for success.

Fontana wants to increase accessibility at UBC. He said that as someone with accessibility needs, and through his work on curriculum advocacy through the EUS, he’s seen the Centre for Accessibility (CFA) experience “issues.”

"There's tons of issues communicating between the CFA and the faculties," said Fontana.

Fontana said he has been engaging with faculty and students on issues of accessibility through the EUS, and noted that he wants to ensure “changes that are informed by people who have accessibility needs” are made to UBC’s Disability Accommodations Policy (LR7), which is under review.

On affordability, Fontana said he will advocate for increased funding from UBC toward food security, housing, student bursaries and research funds.

When asked about current VP AUA Kamil Kanji’s work toward establishing a memorandum of understanding with the UBC President’s Office to secure regular funding for the AMS Food Bank, Fontana said it is an important initiative because of the recent increase of use of the food bank.

Fontana said he will advocate against tuition increases and advocate for a multi-year tuition framework. He criticized the current tuition increase consultation process saying that despite student opposition, UBC’s Board of Governors (BoG) — the governing body that controls tuition increases — still raised tuition. Fontana said he wants to start a specific task force for the tuition engagement survey, similar to the Student Affordability Task Force.

Fontana also said he would work to increase student engagement through advertising office hours and listening and engagement sessions for different interest groups like resource groups, but noted this may be a challenge.

“I do still think to [Kanji’s] credit, engagement isn't really a cut and dry process,” said Fontana. “It's not as simple as just being like, ‘I'm gonna engage with students.’”

Fontana noted that UBC’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (SC17) is under review, and said he will advocate for trauma-informed language in the policy, more trauma-informed training for investigators and to include an appeal process for complainants — the person who files the report with UBC.

Currently, respondents — students who have been accused of sexual misconduct — can appeal decisions, which often has academic repercussions, but complainants cannot. Fontana said decisions are made by BoG, but appeals go to Senate, the governing body that oversees academic misconduct. Since these appeals don’t constitute academic misconduct, said Fontana, this creates a “gap in policy, and that needs to be addressed”

Fontana is running against Taushifa Shaikh, also a first-time candidate.

This article is part of our 2024 AMS Elections coverage. Follow us at @UbysseyNews on X (formerly Twitter) and follow our election coverage starting February 27.