Candidate profile: Mary Gan, VP finance

Fourth-year biology student Mary Gan is running for VP finance on a platform of mental health affordability, support for club treasurers and increased student awareness about AMS funds and fees.

Once VP finance of the UBC Science Undergraduate Society and treasurer of AMS club nwPlus, in addition to being the current AMS associate vice-president (AVP) finance, Gan said she is familiar with the “inner workings of AMS finance.”

Gan’s platform is based on the AMS’s financial struggles. For example, she aims to create a mental health subsidy by using the AMS’s $2 million surplus in health and dental fees.

“I’ve heard a lot from the general public on how the AMS Health and Dental plan has some parts lacking in mental health support,” said Gan.

To make mental health support cheaper, Gan wants to implement a mental health support provider network with Studentcare. Within the network, mental health providers around the UBC campus would offer discounted services to students.

“I understand that [mental health services are] getting increasingly expensive for students. Especially during a pandemic, a lot of us might be feeling isolated so we might need that extra boost of financial support,” said Gan.

Most importantly, Gan is running for VP finance during the financially unpredictable environment caused by COVID-19. At present, the AMS faces a $720,000 deficit due to pandemic-related losses in business revenue.

Gan believes that a “significant chunk” of the deficit will disappear if, in addition to current reductions in internal expenditures, she focuses on improving food quality and diversity in the Nest.

“With more students potentially coming back to campus after being vaccinated, a lot of students will definitely come to the Nest ... With improving the food at the Nest, food outlets will be able to get more business since word does travel among students,” Gan said.

About club finances, one of the VP finance position’s responsibilities, Gan said that treasurers don’t receive as much training as they should. Specifically, Gan is planning a Canvas learning hub where treasurers can learn how to budget, fill out AMS forms and understand procedure.

“I identified a lot of need for a centralized space for treasurers to receive financial training ... Right now, everything’s all over the place so it’s quite hard, from what I’ve seen, for treasurers to complete their duties.”

Gan wants to increase the AMS’s financial transparency, saying that when she entered the AMS as AVP finance, she was “very confused by the budgets and reports.”

To do so, Gan is planning to create infographics about AMS fees, which will be distributed through emails to the UBC student body. Presumably, creating awareness of AMS finances will lead to increased usage of AMS funds, which are often underspent.

“I really want to make sure that students are able to clearly understand how the AMS is spending their money,” added Gan.

Voting is open online from March 1 until March 5. This article is part of our 2021 AMS elections coverage.