The Dingbat: The person I stood next to in the Nest voting line is now my spouse

Talk about a meet cute, am I right?

I have every reason to believe that I wouldn’t have met my spouse if not for our shared commitment to our civic duty.

I am a forestry student. They are in the faculty of arts. I spend my days among, within and beside the trees. They spend their days drifting between Buchanan's A-E (yes, there is a Buchanan E). I rarely venture north of Martha Piper fountain. They never venture south. Given the faculty-induced geographical distance between us, there was absolutely no chance of prolonged eye contact while skirting between classes on Main Mall for us.

However, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called a snap election. Now we are married.

Yes, the election was literally, like, two weeks ago. Yes, that means we just met. Do I think things are moving a little fast? No. I felt confident that I could commit to them forever because standing in line to vote felt like forever.

In just four hours, we made small talk, divulged secrets and also stood in very, very comfortable silence.

Some students struggled to vote on Election Day. And yes, you could say we struggled, too. But in that struggle, we found a silver lining. That silver lining is our marriage, and also the silver bands that encircle our respective ring fingers.

I think our shared values have fostered a strong foundation for the future of our relationship, which will be our whole lives. I look forward to casting votes alongside my spouse in municipal, provincial and federal elections (not to mention referendums)! Heck, I’m even looking forward to casting a vote in the AMS elections come spring. Maybe one day we will even vote internationally.

I don’t know what the future holds for us democratically, but it sure is fun to daydream about.

It will be so beautiful to look back on all the elections throughout our lives and know that it was democracy that brought us together.

The Dingbat is The Ubyssey’s humour section. You can send pitches or completed pieces to blog@ubyssey.ca.