Financing your education

The rising cost of tuition, textbook costs and inflation all put extra financial pressure on students. Here are a few avenues to finance your education at UBC to hopefully graduate debt-free.

SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Scholarships are often awarded based on community involvement or academic achievement. UBC has an Award Search Tool at students.ubc.ca/enrolment/finances/award-search to find UBC awards you are eligible for — some require an application, but there are some you are automatically eligible for if you’re registered in a minimum number of courses.

Some students have luck finding external scholarships through platforms like Scholartree, Scholly and Scholarships Canada. You can create a profile tailored to your interests, goals and achievements, and the platforms will help match you with the right scholarships.

UBC’s Bursary Program is a need-based financial aid program. Individuals need to apply through the SSC to receive it.

Indigenous students may also be eligible for First Nation, band or community sponsorship to support tuition costs and even some monthly living expenses.

Students with a disability can register with the Centre for Accessibility to get support and apply for additional awards.

LOANS

BC residents are eligible for StudentAid BC loans. You need to be registered in 60 per cent of a full-time course load and demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the full-time loans. Loans are interest-free, but you are responsible for repaying them after graduation — so borrow wisely.

When you apply for a loan, you’re also automatically assessed to see if your income level qualifies you for a BC Access Grant, a non-repayable provincial aid.

If you need support, you can contact your Enrolment Services Advisor through Student Services in Brock Hall or drop in to services online — you’ve probably received an email from them. These advisors are assigned to all UBC undergraduate students and their job is to help with any questions you might have about applying for student loans, paying tuition, making a budget and more.