Responding to sexual assault

Here are some campus resources that can support you if you or someone you know has experienced sexualized or gender-based violence.

SEXUAL VIOLENCE PREVENTION AND RESPONSE OFFICE (SVPRO)

Run by UBC, the SVPRO provides confidential support and information for people impacted by sexual or gender-based violence.

It can inform survivors on their reporting options — to the police and UBC — and help them report their assault, navigate receiving a sexual assault evidence kit (also known as a rape kit) and it can provide a support worker to attend court and the hospital with you.

SVPRO also can help you find safe housing options both short- and long-term on and off campus, arrange academic concessions under UBC’s Academic Concessions Policy and coordinate workplace accommodations like arranging leave.

You can reach the SVPRO by phone or email at 604.822.1588 and svpro.vancouver@ubc.ca, respectively, or visit the SVPRO office in room 4071 in Orchard Commons Residence.

Learn more about the SVPRO at svpro.ubc.ca.

SEXUAL ASSAULT SUPPORT CENTRE (SASC)

Funded by the AMS, the SASC provides support and education to survivors and their friends and family. The SASC serves UBC students, staff, faculty and others with a UBC connection, but the centre itself is independent of UBC.

SASC offers confidential crisis support and runs support groups like Roots & Resilience, a six-week art-based, peer support group for survivors, and BIPOC Community Care Circle, a biweekly group for BIPOC survivors, during the school year.

It can also connect you with a support worker to help you navigate legal, academic and medical systems. SASC can help you apply for academic concessions, file reports with UBC and the police, request workplace accommodations and access health services.

The SASC Sexual Assault Service also provides medical care for people 13 years old and older that have experienced sexual assault in the previous week. The service is free and confidential with no MSP needed and is located at the UBC Urgent Care at Koerner Pavilion and at Vancouver General Hospital’s Emergency Department, 7 days a week from 8 a.m.­–8 p.m.

SASC also hosts workshops on responding to disclosures, workplace sexual violence and more. It also runs the Healthier Masculinities program, which works to eradicate gender-based and sexualized violence through dismantling damaging stereotypes for male identified and masculine presenting students.

You can reach the SASC at 604.827.5180 or sasc@ams.ubc.ca, or visit the SASC office in room 3130 in the AMS Nest.

Learn more about the SASC at amssasc.ca.