Vancouver night life and drinks

Want to stay on campus for a night out? The Pit is UBC’s only nightclub, and Wednesday is the day to go, for some reason. There’s no cover and often a fun seasonal theme (think Y2K or “Back to School”). After your night out, head over to University Village and hit up McDonald’s or A&W for a quick snack, since both are open 24/7.

If you’re looking for a spot to grab a drink on campus, Koerner’s Pub, The Gallery and Brown’s Crafthouse got you. Koerner’s is by the Museum of Anthropology and has $5 pints of beer between 2–4 p.m., as well as improv, drag shows and open mic nights. The Gallery is on the top floor of the Nest. Brown’s is right outside the Nest, with a happy hour from 3–6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to close.

Down to venture a bit further? Kitsilano has a handful of cool bars to check out: The list is lengthy, but some classics are Good Co., The Fringe and Darby’s Neighbourhood Pub. Glitch on Broadway has arcade games, Thursday-night karaoke and an iconic Ryan Reynolds-themed washroom.

If you’re looking to hit a gay bar or two, head to Davie Village, Vancouver’s historically Queer neighborhood. Numbers, The Junction and Celebrities are all classic spots. Eastside Studios also hosts Queer events and drag shows at their warehouse space near Olympic Village, and Normiecorp organizes high energy dance parties at locations around the city.

Although a bit further away, Fortune Sound Club in Chinatown is another option for some weekend fun. Their music selection is mostly hip-hop. If you’re not feeling the dance floor, Greta, an arcade bar, is nearby.

The Granville Strip, packed with bars, clubs and late-night food spots, is Vancouver’s classic going-out spot. Depending on the night, you could be riding the bull at the Yale Saloon or dancing the night away at the Roxy or Levels. End the night debriefing with your friends at Lucha Libre Taqueria or one of the many donair spots and then hop on the N19 back to UBC.