Sci Lit Week 2021: Explore climate science right here on campus

Students passionate about climate justice can jump back into the semester with some fun activities promoting Science Literacy Week from September 20–26.

Sci Lit Week is an annual event dedicated to embracing science in your community and across Canada. This year’s theme is climate and through various workshops and activities, there is ample opportunity for learning and discovery on the UBC campus and beyond. There are virtual options, as well as in-person events to ensure that the week’s activities are accessible to everyone.

The goal of Sci Lit Weekis to promote conversations around our climate and to educate people in an engaging way. Come check out these events to meet like minded individuals and hopefully learn something new!

UBC Library

Getting Started with Citizen Science

Learn about citizen science and discover projects and tools to get started as a citizen scientist.

When: Monday, September 20 at 1–2:30 p.m.

Where: Online

Civic Engagement in the Climate Emergency

Explore civic engagement and learn how to get involved with climate justice in your community.

When: Wednesday, September 22at 10–11:30 a.m.

Where: Online

Thinking Through the Crap: How to think critically about science in the media

Join a panel of UBC researchers and learn how to think critically about science and hone skills that might come in handy when exploring controversial topics.

When: Thursday, September 23, 1–2 p.m.

Where: Online

Climate Change Research Guide

The UBC library has compiled a list of researchers, academic groups and programs with expertise in climate science. Check it out to learn more about the climate science that we have right here at UBC.

Beaty Biodiversity Museum

Fire Followers

This exhibit — conceptualized by painter Megan Majewski and writer Sharon Roberts — aims to “give voice” to the forests ravaged by the BC wildfires through visual and written art.

When: All week (except Monday) 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Where: In-person and online

ReCollections

Embrace biodiversity, while celebrating imagery depicting the ecosystems stemming from different climates.

When: All week (except Monday) from 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Where: In-person and online

The article of part of The Ubyssey’s Sci Lit Week 2021 coverage. Keep an eye for more articles this week and check here for more!